Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Phil, 08 Mazda RX* wont start been sitting a month, turns

Customer Question

Customer: Phil, 08 Mazda RX* wont start been sitting for about a month, turns over haven't pulled a plug to see if it has spark, but can smell gas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: that's about all I got was running fine (driven daily) before vacation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: can I use paypal to pay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, How much gas was in the tank when placed to sit/?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1/2 tank
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I asked because one should always try to have a close to full tank as possible due to possible condensation, One month. 1/2 tank kind of leaning away form that as the problem, What likley is the problem? this engine has a notorious history of flooding after sitting any longer length of time, Hard to explain so,, I am sure you have spark and you smell fuel because it is flooded so,, the fix is to remove the 4 spark plugs, Crank it over, blow out the raw fuel, dry off the plugs, put them back in., hold pedal to floor and crank till it starts then drive around toe clear it all out, This is a very common procedure and really the only way to get running again, You can try holding pedal to floor but that rarely works on this type of enginel, PLugs need to be dried, cylinders blown out,