Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2006 Mazda Miata. Airbag issues. Local shop shows code side

Customer Question

2006 Mazda Miata. Airbag issues. Local shop shows code for passenger side airbag weight sensor. Airbag light says off no matter where selector key is positioned (on/off) and have red flashing light in instrument cluster. Is there possibility of doing away with weight sensors and having air bag on active as I do not intend to use child restraint chair or have child in seat. What I am trying to say is I want the system active
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 12 months ago.

have you looked under the passenger seat to see if the plug is plugged in and not damaged?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
connections are fine. cleaned with elctrosafe and canned air.

its illegal to tamper with the passenger air bag , so I cant tell you how to get around the sensor, but I can help you with trouble shooting and repair If you want to proceed? Do you have the diagnostic code?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do not have the scanner # ***** I do know the code read "air bag weight sensors " & were reading 126KG with an empty seat. I am thinking the scanner #was 12 .if that makes any sense

did he attempt to recalibrate the sensor?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no unless he did that with scanner . Is the recalibration something that can be done with out the dealer equipment.

no it would require dealer software

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Looks like I might have to visit Mazda dealer to find out what I am dealing with. My reason for asking about going around weight sensor is that there was a "weight sensor emulator " advertised on the net but was not compatible with my Miata.

the mazda system is a calibrated system a emulator would not work you would have the same issue you have now