Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I accidentally hooked up a new battery with reverse polarity

Customer Question

I accidentally hooked up a new battery with reverse polarity on my 2010 mazda 3. I blew the main fuse attached to the positive battery terminal as well as the ones powering the radio and interior lights. My car would not start. After I replaced those fuses the car turned on but the power steering light came on. I just replaced the 80A power steering fuse but the power steering still does not work. What else can I test or could be the possible problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let's try resetting the steering angle sensor:

Turn the key to the on position and rotate steering wheel lock to lock (all the way to the left until it stops and then all the way to the right), then turn key off and then start the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I just tried but the light is still illuminated and the power steering doesn't work
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You might have to get the vehicle's computer scanned for trouble codes to make sure the electronic power steering control unit wasn't damaged.

First, let's try to reset all of the modules and start fresh. Disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for 30 minutes (wire tie them together so you don't have to stand there). This will clear all memory modules in the vehicle.

After 30 minutes reconnect the battery and then try the steering reset procedure like before, and then start the car.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.