john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner
6149662

I drive a 2014 Mazda 3s. I've had it a year and drive it

Customer Question

I drive a 2014 Mazda 3s. I've had it for about a year and drive it regularly. I have about 13k miles on it. Recently I have been carpooling and have a full car when driving one week a month and since then I have started hearing a scraping noise on my front left passenger side while driving. It is when it goes over bumps or if there are dips in the road. I called the dealer and will be bringing it in soon but I did look at it today and I can see the passenger side wheel is about 2 finger lengths from the fender as opposed to the driver side which is about 4. I also noticed that the passenger side paneling by the tire and headlight seems wapred a little. It doesn't appear that I was hit but I can't tell for certain. If it is an issue where the tire has caused damage to the car itself, would my warranty cover that? I haven't had any accidents and as far as I know, no one has hit me. This is the first time something like this has happened to me.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise sounds like the static noise you hear after a radio transmission btw.I'm not sure what to say to the mechanics when I bring it in tomorrow. My car is new and I try to be careful with this car so for this to happen sucks. I don't really want to be stuck with a hefty repair bill this close to Christmas...
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

does it look like the wheel is rubbing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car is parked the tire does not appear to be rubbing the under part of the car. All I can notice when not moving is that the distance between the wheel and car is about half of the distance as it is on the driver side wheel. I can stick 2 of my fingers between the passenger tire and car and on the driver side it's about 4 fingers.

sounds like a bent frt end part.. any signs of impact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The panel by the tire is bent a little bit. It doesn't appear that it was hit by another car though. There are no scrapes, scratches, or debts but I don't know. I was wondering if something like that could be caused by the tire itself. I included a picture. There is an inward bending where the panels meet. If this is a bent front end part, would the dealership fix something like this for me? My car is still under warranty and I am the only owner.

nothing in the wheel well is rubbing? you may have hit a pot hole or something and bent the control arm or strut..I would have it put on a lift to verify

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only hear it rubbing when there is a dip or bump in the road that affects the left side. As far as I know I haven't hit any major potholes. I have a heavy load when I drive because I do carpool to work and bring equipment.In either case, is that something that the dealership would fix under warranty? Sounds expensive if not...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry, I meant the right (passenger side)

any signs of rubbing in the wheel well...it may be as simple as re securing the inner fender and pumper.. no way to tell without pulling the wheel or getting it on a lift

any signs of rubbing in the wheel well...it may be as simple as re securing the inner fender and ubmper.. no way to tell without pulling the wheel or getting it on a lift...................

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you