George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+Years
13574682

Extreme tire shaking when driving and loud grinding and

Customer Question

extreme tire shaking when driving and loud grinding and groaning sound from front end and also popping and grinding when turning slowly. Just last night I was taking a turn in town slowly like 5 mph and there was a loud bang and a total loss of forward power after this I had to push it into a parking lot and it would make a loud crunching grinding sound when put in any gear except P or N
04 mazda 6s 3.0 178,500 miles
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also earlier the day before it lost all drive power I had hit a steep pothole and it was pretty rough but it didn't sound or feel any different after that except the impact forced some air out of my tires
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It sounds like you have broken the drive axle and the wheel bearing on that side. The way to check is raise and support that corner and pull the wheel off. If the axle is separated with grease flung all over it needs to be replace and if the hub the wheel mounts to is loose then the bearing must be replaced. If you hit the hole hard enough to bend the rim and air to release from the tire the rim is bent and you will need to replace that as well.

Plan on $75 for the wheel, $200 for the axle and $250 for the bearing and clean up. Once all that is replaced you will need an alignment and if other components are replaced they will be an addition charge so at least $100 for the alignment.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you