FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

Ew, My 2006 Mazda Tribute 2wd with automatic tramission is

Customer Question

Hi Drew, My 2006 Mazda Tribute 2wd with automatic tramission is acting up,
At highway speeds it seems to shift between 4th and overdrive back and forth like it can't decide what gear to be in, One of my friends suggested that I replace the Transmission Speed Sensor. Do you think this would fix the problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Before we begin can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on when this occurs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I havn't noticed a check engine light on.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Typically this is not a speed sensor. Most of the time on this vehicle it is due to a failing band in the transmission. There are many common issues with this transmission, but this is the most common. If you have a scan tool that reads the right data you can see what the speed sensors are reading, but most of the time the transmission needs to be rebuilt. I would start by draining the fluid and checking its condition. If it is slightly burnt or has any debris in it then you definitely know that this is the problem.