Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 96 Mazda 626 LX V6 and I recently had the fuel pump

Customer Question

I have a 96 Mazda 626 LX V6 and I recently had the fuel pump cutout. Replaced the fuel pump but now I can't get it to energize when I turn the key on. Fuses have all been checked and replaced along with the Relays for both the Main and The Fuel pump circuit. I can get the pump to run when I use a jumper wire to connect the ground with the fuel pump inside the data link terminal. The book tells me it is a short somewhere in the wires between the fuel pump and the relay. Have you ran into this problem before?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** fuel pump relay 2 pins should have power while trying to start and 1 should have ground. If all are good that would mean the white/light blue wire that goes from relay to fuel pump is broken somewhere. The white/light blue wire turns into a black/white wire at the fuel pump. If white/blue wire at relay has good voltage while trying to start but not black/white wire at pump then you need to run a new wire between the two. Here is a wire diagram to help with testing. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz9hycj4wxrxdn1/626097a.png?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will check these two things. Do wires go to shit very often? I did hear what sounded like something electronic arcing out, even though I have spark. Is there a fusable link on these model Mazda's?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I've only seen wiring problems once on this vehicle, it is almost always the relay or the pump. There is no fusible link that would effect only fuel pump relay. You will want to check power/grounds at the relay to see if any are missing and go from there. You can continue to reply to this answer at any time without additional fees if you run into more questions so make sure to let me know. thanks.