Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

My Tribute has not been started year. I replaced

Customer Question

My Tribute has not been started for a year. I replaced starter/battery. when I turn ignition the starter ground cable immediately overheats. Checked connections, replaced cable. Still gets hot and starter doesn't crank.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure if I can help, but I will try.

The starter should not have a ground cable. Are you sure you have it hooked up correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It goes to the negative battery cable which has ground cable to the body. The cable to the negative pole on the battery overheats.

The starter should be connected to the positive side of the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 bucks wasted. You obviously no nothing about a Mazda Tribute. There are 3 wires to the starter. Positive battery cable. Negative battery cable (grounded). Starter relay wire. Thanks anyway
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Different expert here. The starter motor should not get a ground wire going to it. It was not built that way from the factory. Here is a wiring diagram of the starting circuit. You can clearly see there are only TWO wires going to the starter motor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Please let me know!