Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2001 1.6 mazda mx5 will only start with a bump start wont

Customer Question

2001 1.6 mazda mx5 will only start with a bump start wont start using starter and when started tick over is very low
Category: Mazda
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Have you measured the battery voltage and inspected the condition of the battery cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new battery and maf filter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

How about the cables to the engine and starter?

IT obviously runs we need to find out why your starter motor is not getting power when you turn the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter is getting power the engine turns over but does not start - when towed the car starts bu when warm the tick over is very low
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, that is a different situation. You still need to measure the voltage at the battery while the starter is running. If the starter motor pulls the voltage below 9.5 volts then there is not enough to operate the engine computer. When you bump start it there is no drop in voltage.

New does not equal good, you need to measure the voltage to determine if it is sufficient to run the engine. The low idle just after starting is consistant with the alternator having to recharge a marginal battery.

Check the voltage while cranking and let me know what it is.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
just over 10 volts
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

That is pretty low, can you measure at the starter to the case of the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the starter
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

#1 in the diagram here >click<

If you follow the positive cable from the battery it leads to the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont think voltage is the issue - more to do with very low tick over -
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

If the starter is spinning the engine at the proper speed then there would be no difference between the starter turing the engine or running it by letting the clutch out unless you are dragging it around the block to start.

If it does take a long time to catch then you have other issues but you posted that it would start with a bump start.

If you know something I need to know please post it, I only know what you tell me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine turns over on starter very fast - whats your thoughts on why the tick over is so low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is tick over so low that the car alsmost stalls
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

As I posted above it could be the draw of the alternator charging the battery but you also have to check the basic tune.

There is an idle air motor in the throttle body the computer uses to adjust the airflow when the throttle is closed, if that gets restricted with carbon build up then the computer cannot let engine air in to meet the target idle speed. Having the plugs, wires in good shape along with cleaning the intake tract should allow the computer to control the idle so it does not stall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the intake tract !
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The air filter through the duct where the mass air sensor is located to the throttle body then through the intake manifold to the cylinders. Your critical area is to be sure there are no leaks in the duct from the air filter housing to the throttle body and that the throttle body is clean of carbon buildup. I use TB cleaner and a tooth brush to scrub off the deposits.