Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 08 Miatia Gt w/ake will not start. The key will turn so

Customer Question

Hello. My 08 Miatia Gt w/ake will not start. The key will turn so it's recognizing the keys rfid but no noise when I turn the key. After about a second of turning the key, the security light flashes quickly. Returns to a slow flash when I turn the key off. I tried a spare key/card but got the same results.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, first, disconnect the battery cables for 10 minutes to reset the control modules and then reconnect and try to crank engine.

If still no go, please post the last 8 digits of the vin number so I can pull schematics and go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Eric. I have the feeling this one is going to be a bit nasty to diagnose.The last 8 digits of the vin are 80145925I have some more to the story.I did try disconnecting the battery but only for about a minute. No joy. I went back to work and came out about two hours later to check fuses. Guess what? It started. After work I drove home. While on the highway, luckily with no other cars nearby, all the indicator lights came on in the dash and it lost engine power. I'm doing about 60 at the time. I pushed in the clutch and the rev counter went to zero and the throttle had no response. I turned the key to the acc position then back on and the engine caught. I was able to get home without any other issues.When home, same symptoms. I'd turn the key and after a few seconds, fast flashing security indicator and no click/crank.I went under the hood to check fuses and found the attached picture. I don't know if the grease on that connector is normal or not. It looks brown in the picture but it's really just dirty white. I assume that it's some sort of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. I bought this car used so maybe it's a sign that there have been issues before. I pulled that connector and the pins look fine. No signs of corrosion. Tried to crank it again and it started. Coincidence? I don't know.I found some wiring diagrams online, but I'll admit I can't decipher them. I found the immobilizer diagram and as far as I can tell, none of those wires are associated with it.The only other thing that I did was to check under the dash for any sort of water damage. It was clean and dry with no signs of water or previous water anywhere. The wire bundle that led to the top of interior fuse panel had a sharp bend it in so I straightened it out a bit.So that's where I stand. The AKE system and keys appear to be working, I can communicate with the PCM via the OBDII port and it reports no codes or pending codes. I have a decent multimeter if it comes to that.Rob
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, having major internet issues. I will opt out so another expert can help