peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 1987 Mazda B2200 Pickup. It cranks and runs while

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Mazda B2200 Pickup. It cranks and runs for a while then just dies. I have swapped out the coil and replaced the ignition switch. I don't think it's a gas or air problem, as it dies and the butterfly in the carb stays open with the cover off the breather. It seems like an electrical problem. It doesn't chug, it just dies.. It seems that it will idle for a while, but when I rev it up, it dies instantly... Also, If I am rolling when it dies, I have to turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and then back on before it will restart by popping the clutch or re-starting.
I've been Banging my Head against the wall trying to figure this one out for the last two weeks... I REALLY Hope You can help get me back on the road.
Thanking You in advance,
Seth Fontan
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with the ignition control module/igniter as I have seen commonly fail in the past before and cause this intermittent stall out issue you have here.If this module/igniter has not been replaced yet I suspect this is the cause here due to the common fault with it.If it has already been replaced let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete, I have one coming tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix my problem. By the way, I had never heard of an "Ignition control module", And never had a problem with one in the last 37 years I have been driving older vehicles... I learned something today... Thank You.. I hope this does it.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete