peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Ed. I have a 99 626 with a crank no start problem. I ran a

Customer Question

Hi Ed. I have a 99 626 with a crank no start problem. I ran a scan and I have no trouble codes set but I do see 2 service $06 Fails.
This one...
Component Id $00 TID $21 - Manufacturer Defined 32768 57472 N/A Fail
And this one...
Component Id $31 TID $4C - Manufacturer Defined 0 3 N/A Fail
Where do I get these definitions?
Some troubleshooting details listed below.
Also checked the crank sensor, seems OK as OBDII and RPM gauge show 100-200 RPM while cranking. Also ohm meter reading was in the normal range.
Checked timing belt by pulling oil fill cap and looking in. I can see the cam turn. The belt is less than 1 year old.
I did notice that the cam sensor seems to measure strangely. On my meter while installed in the car, the resistance does not change much while cranking. Unlike the crank sensor. Its resistance moves alot. If I pull the cam sensor out and put a screw driver on it, it switches quite normally. Not sure what to make of that?
Suggestions?
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put some other details but I dont see them listed. The original problem was the crank dampener fell apart...literally. It disintegrated and threw metal shavings into the alternator killing it as well. I replaced both and now the car wont start. I also found the fuel pump bad so I replaced it as well. There is now fuel at the rail but I have not confirmed what the pressure is yet. I put a spare spark plug into each of the plug wires and confirmed a strong spark at each. The car cranks quite normally but does not even try to start.I attached a copy of the scan I got from my OBDII scan tool.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You will need a scan tool that is compatible with your model here to read out the fault code numbers as the numbers you have above are generic scan tool codes when a scan tool is unable to communicate properly with the engine computer.I have seen this occur on several scan tools before where the scan tool had to be a different scan tool to read these codes.If you can get this re checked with a different scan tool this will help here.

One thing to check is remove the spark plugs and see if they are wet/fouled out with fuel at all.I have seen fouled spark plugs cause this issue here and when the dampener fell apart it may have killed the engine but the cylinders may have been over fueled in the process causing the no start you have now.

I would start with having the spark plugs checked to see if they are just fuel fouled needing cleaned and dried and reinstalled or if they need replaced.If these are or were checked and all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ed...
We replaced the plugs this weekend and the car has the same issue. It cranks but wont start. It wont even try to start. It just cranks.
The original plugs were only a few months old and looked fine.
Please keep in mind, after the crank dampener fell off and I replaced it the car has not started since.
I suspected the crank sensor or possibly the cam sensor but I cant seem to find anything wrong with them.
They measure fine.
I could use a better code scanner as I am getting some kind of component failure.
Any other suggestions?JoeService $06 - On-Board MonitoringDate: 10/31/2015 6:55:26 PM
Component Description Value Minimum Maximum Units Result
Component Id $11 TID $01 - Manufacturer Defined 1024 532 N/A Pass
Component Id $21 TID $01 - Manufacturer Defined 1024 532 N/A Pass
Component Id $01 TID $03 - Manufacturer Defined 461 0 N/A Pass
Component Id $02 TID $03 - Manufacturer Defined 461 0 N/A Pass
Component Id $11 TID $10 - Manufacturer Defined 0 N/A 96 Pass
Component Id $00 TID $21 - Manufacturer Defined 32768 N/A 60928 Pass
Component Id $00 TID $22 - Manufacturer Defined 32768 N/A 57344 Pass
Component Id $00 TID $25 - Manufacturer Defined 32768 512 N/A Pass
Component Id $31 TID $4C - Manufacturer Defined 0 N/A 80 Pass

I apologize for the delay as I was off line this last weekend.

Did you check and make sure no wiring was damaged on the engine at any sensors or components?If not I would start with checking this as I have seen these come apart before and cause issues like this here with wiring being damaged needing repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete