Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2003 mazda 6 3.0 I just replaced the right cv axle

Customer Question

I have a 2003 mazda 6 3.0 I just replaced the right cv axle and now with car jacked up when I rotate the right tire forward the left tire turns backwards. when I went jfor a test drive I heard a loud click one time. then I rechecked all bolts and nuts, checked cv axle for any loose play it seems to be fine. my question is do the tires suppose to rotate in opposite directions or is the cv axle wrong. already checked the part and part number.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, , hard to explain but 100% yes, The way the differential is setup internally, when wheel soff the ground, one will spin one way, one the other, As far as a click? you could? have just been everything settling in once placed back on the ground and driven the first time. In any case, the opposiet wheel will turn the other direction, I am thinking all is fine click wise as long as you rechecked all bolts etc.The driven wheels of a vehicle must be able to rotate at slightly different speeds when the vehicle goes round corners, otherwise the tires would scrub off their tread abnormally fast. Differential gearing allows this.
One of the side effects of this gearing is when the vehicle is jacked up and the engine is off and out of gear turning one driven wheel causes the opposite wheel to rotate in the reverse direction.