FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

I have a 2006 mazda 3 i am salvage yard had a running motor

Customer Question

i have a 2006 mazda 3 i am salvage yard had a running motor that appears it jumped a tooth some how in between removal and delivery motor turn about 180 looks like the valve is trying to open while the piston is at tdc
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** is common for this engine to do this during an impact. The crank gear is not held in place with a key way but just by the torque on the crank pulley. And sudden jolts can cause just enough of a slip to do this and damage the valves. It sounds like this is what happened. Please let me know if you need other help with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually vehicle was not in an accident was salvaged due to transmission slipping out of od about 45 mile an hour. Finally customer admitted do having removed the balancer without installing the crank lock. Looks like I have to pull the front cover and retime cams and crankshaft
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

That is what it sounds like. Hopefully they didn't attempt to crank it at all and simply loosened it so there will be no damage.