Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Dwight - I have a 2001 millenia s. I have a "chatter" from

Customer Question

Customer: dwight - I have a 2001 millenia s. I have a "chatter" from the left side (as I'm looking at the engine from the front), top assembly where the v belt goes around the top pully. Is that the supercharger?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I detect what I'll call a chatter from the point described. I'm on this page to see a view of the block and what taht componenet is
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a pic of where the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I .don't have the car here now - I've been perusing other info on the web, and I believe it's the supercharger. I'm thinking that the noise could be coming from the supercharger or the timing belt tensioners. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

you can listen to the supercharger with a mechanics stethoscope to verify if the noise is coming from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - will any related observables show up in the codes?

is the engine light on? unlikely unless its a timing issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - it's my daughters car so i don't have it here - 130K miles

if the engine light is off you will get no usefull info... likely a bearing failure