Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2004 Mazda Tribute is difficult to turn left after a stop

Customer Question

2004 Mazda Tribute is difficult to turn left after a stop such as at an intersection or when leaving a parking space. It usually takes all my strength with both arms to get the wheel to turn left. There has never been a problem with turning right. The problem becomes even more severe the colder the weather. The problem is intermittent and does not occur all the time. I have gone as long as 3 months without a problem, but lately it is all day every day and it has started making a sound like two pieces of rubber rubbing togather.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a failing power steering pump or power steering rack. If you don't plan to perform diagnosis or repairs yourself I would suggest having a shop check the fluid pressures from the power steering pump. If the fluid pressures check out ok then the power steering rack is likely the problem. The way the rack on this vehicle typically wears out is with one side bypassing fluid to the other and causing it to only have power steering while turning one way and not the other.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.