Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My interior door lights won't turn off even after the

Customer Question

My interior door lights won't turn off even after the ignition is shut off. Any thoughts
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The interior lights on this vehicle are controlled by the BCM, which could have an internal short, but it could also be a break in a wire that tells the BCM that one of the doors is open and commands the lights on.

Do the lights stay on while you are driving also? Do you get a door ajar light with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but how can I fix this? And what does BCM mean? Can I repair it myself or do I need to go to a shop? Also how much should I expect to pay get it fixed. finally it appears as though the interior door lights do turn off after a while (about 30 minutes). So does this imply a particular problem? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I have your attention and I hope I am not being too inquisitive but my power windows aren't working either. Switch won't make windows go down. Could this be related to the light problem?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Both items are controlled by the BCM body control module. This model has a tendency to burn up the BCM because of it's location. It is right behind the driver side kick panel to the left of your feet when you are driving. The hood release cable runs through there and somehow water tends to get in a leak on the BCM causing internal circuitry damage. There is no way to fix it other than replace the BCM. You could replace it yourself, but you would have to get it towed to a shop with a ford programming tool to have it programmed before it will run.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The BCM is about a $500 part but it only takes a half hour to replace, so the cost would be very little labor.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional information. I would also appreciate a positive rating if I have been of some assistance. Thanks!

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to give a positive rating (that's how we experts get paid).

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. Thanks!

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to see if you need more help. Please don't forget to rate.