Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have 2005 Mazda 6, and the low beams suddenly won't come

Customer Question

I have 2005 Mazda 6, and the low beams suddenly won't come on. Both sides. I checked the fuses, no help. I am wondering if the auto light-off system (which I haven't found) could let the parking lights turn on but not the low beams (if it malfunctioned),,,
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin have you checked the bulbs and the voltage to the plugs themselves it's not unusual for both bulbs to blow at the same time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alas, at one point in my testing, both bulbs turned on. I thought the problem was solved. But after I cleaned up, they didn't work again. Two bulbs can fail simultaneously, but two failed bulbs to briefly heal simultaneously? Well, there may be two problems...
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok so where have you tested and what did you do to get them lit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The surprising event was this: after the first 15 minutes of probing and checking/swapping fuses, I noticed one of the low beam fuses wasn't all the way in (perhaps 1/8" up); when I pushed it down, both low beams lit.So, I thought the problem might be solved... cleaned up, started the car -- no low beams. Now I am worried about the integrity of the fuse box circuit board (I assume there is such a thing, below the fuse and relay sockets). But I cannot tap, wiggle, push or pull anything to get the lights on for even an instant.OK, so I pulled fuses, measured voltage in sockets (11.7v seems a bit low, but should be more than enough to light up the bulbs). The most credible wiring diagram I can find seems to indicate that the low beams are on whenever the headlight relay pulls in (i.e., they don't shut off when the high beams are selected - so there is no secondary relay to consider).However, because of the "event", I am not ready to assume both bulbs failed. And as far as I can tell, I will need to start removing the front wheels and flexing the wheel well out of the way, before I can start to test the connections or the bulbs themselves.