FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

I have a 2007 mazda 3 with 2.3l auto, when accelerating

Customer Question

I have a 2007 mazda 3 with 2.3l auto, when accelerating lightly the engine makes a funny noise,like a rattle/vibration and sounds like its cutting out or misfiring,not a smooth accel, loosing power. vvt ? fuel, variable intake?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. The main two causes of this on your vehicle are either a loose or worn timing chain, or more commonly the variable timing actuator. Most of the time it is the actuator that fails and needs to be replaced. Is this something that you plan on fixing yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i plan fix myself.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Then I would check the actuator first. If you pull the valve cover you can look into the front of the actuator and you will see a line that is on the gear and one on the actuator. If these do not line up then replace the actuator. When I get this noise, assuming that the oil is full and not sludged I will typically replace the timing chain and the actuator as they are both common failures.