Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege. It normally runs and drives

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege. It normally runs and drives just fine, but lately it randomly will not start, or even turn over. The lights all function, and there are no indicator lights on. I have tried to jumpstart the car when it does this, to no avail. There have also been instances where the car does start, but the rpms drop, the lights dim, and the car chokes out. Usually if I wait awhile, itll start up again. What do I do?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

When it won't turn over, does it make any clicking sounds from the starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might get a single click every few times I try to start it but not the rapid-fire clicking that you would normally hear from the starter.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Well, if you get a single click with each turn of the key it usually means the starter is no good. The longer it goes on, the longer you will have to keep on turning the key to get it to start. Eventually it won't start.

The rapid fire you speak of is what happens when you have a low battery that just doesn't have enough amperage to turn the starter.

So, it's important to know if you are getting that click or not.If not, then the starter is not the problem, but something up line that makes the connection between the key and the starter solenoid is the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.