FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

2006 Mazda 3 2.0L Was driving fine. Battery light came on,

Customer Question

2006 Mazda 3 2.0L
Was driving fine. Battery light came on, lost power. Car was still running, but pushing the gas did nothing. Pulled over, turned off the car and tried to restart. Lights flickered, gages spiked and engine clicked. Got a jump and the car worked fine. Went to mechanic and had battery, alternator and starter checked, all passed no problems. Happened again, 14hr later. Again, jumped and fine. Third time car died, I removed the negative cable to the battery, waited 3 min, reattached the cable and the car started right up. No check engine light. Only sign anything is wrong is the battery light 5-10 mins before it freezes.
Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. It sounds like you either have a bad battery cable connection or the battery is failing internally. If it has an internal short then it can act fine at times and when being tested but as it heats up when you drive it can fail or the alternator may stop charging. Most of the time this occurs because of the battery cable though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response.
Is there a way to test this? How do I know which cable may be failing?
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

If you have a voltage meter I can run you through this. If not then it will be hard to tell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a voltage meter. Do I need to disconnect the cable from the engine as well as the battery?
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

No, you can leave it hooked up. With the engine running and the meter set to DC volts put one lead on the positive battery post without touching the cable end, and the other on the cable end without touching the post. Do this on each post separately. If you get a reading higher than .2 volts then the cable end is bad. If not then it should be fine. Then test from one end of the positive cable to the other end at the large wire at the alternator. Any more than .2 volts than that wires is the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give this a shot when I get home. Thank you for the help.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know if you need more help.