sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2004 manual RX8 with a no crank no start issue. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 manual RX8 with a no crank no start issue. I had backed out of my driveway and it just shut down. I replaced the battery and replaced the starter. Checked fuses and all are good except the second row on the top for the engine bay fuse box. Also the top column of fuses in the interior driver side fuse box. To note: radio will not turn on, climate control will not turn on, power windows will not work. headlights work, interior lights work.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on but if all the other electrical items stopped working at the same time the engine died then I would first suspect an ignition switch issue, blown fuse oor a wiring problem.

Does the engine light do a bulb check and the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?

Does the ECM communicate with a scan tool?

Have you checked for blown fuses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light and fuel pump do not activate when the key is turned. No blown fuses inside or in the engine bay. Don't know about the scan tool as I don't have one

Did the problem start after any work that was done, a jump start, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir. Just backed out of my driveway and it shut down completely when I put it in first to drive away.
Recent issue was I hit a shredded tire on the freeway. Tore up my plastic engine shield and wheel well splash shields. I removed these and discovered the rear O2 sensor harness destroyed. Discovered and replaced that while troubleshooting the no start

If you turn the key on, blower motor and radio on and wiggle the key back and forth does anything try to come on?

i didn't see part of your first post initially, you said that fuses are good except for the second row in the power distribution center. Can you elaborate on what you're seeing there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turn the key,nothing comes on. No blower no power windows no radio. Second line of fuses from the top left. I attached a fuse box diagram

What are you seeing with those fuses? Are they blowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuses have all been good

This is from your first post:

Checked fuses and all are good except the second row on the top for the engine bay fuse box.

Can you explain what you meant by that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a fuse tester with a light in it. I touch the tester to all the different fuses, and the light comes on. On that row which mostly deals with ignition an engine the light does not come on. Since then, I've taken apart my steering column, taking out the ignition switch and tried to pull from the power supply to the ignition switch to try to hotwire it. Nothing. However if I feed a direct power line into the starter plug, I can hear the starter click once. I have a feeling that it's the power supply to the starter switch. I have no idea if that's a relay or fuse or what. The power supply that I tap into to make this happen was the one from the plug on the headlight switch. This is in the same cable harness, so I thought that power supply should be coming through to the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also replaced the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking the ignition relay is bad. Power is coming though the harness but not to the new ignition switch

Has the battery been load tested or a known good battery swapped in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand new battery brand new starter brand new ignition switch

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll need to go over the wiring diagrams this evening and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps I tested the connector for the ignition switch. No power going to it. In order to engage the starter I had to pull power directly from the battery with a long wire to rule out that the new starter or ignition switch wasn't bad

You have no power on any wire at the switch at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. I disconnected the plug and tested each spot on it. No juice. But borrowing power from the battery and hooking that wire directly into the plug engaged the starter

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Is there power at the 15 amp IG KEY fuse? This powers the two yellow wires at the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could cry. I had tested that first and it was good. Pulled it just now and it was fried. Swapped it out and car is on. Thank you!

Excellent, I'm glad to hear it!