Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I just Changed My Strutz On My 2008 Mazda and now its Making

Customer Question

I just Changed My Strutz On My 2008 Mazda and now its Making a Clunking Sound but Only When I press the Breaks and Slow down. I was wondering if you had An idea of what It would be?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I have had technicians leave the upper strut mount bolts loose enough to make a pop when slowing down. What style of struts did you put in: complete loaded struts, or just the strut cartridge?

Can you give me an idea of what procedure you performed to get an idea of where it might have gone awry?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the complete loaded strut. Yeah I jacked up one side took the tire off took off the stabilizer bolt and un bolted the bolt to the bottom of the strut. I then went to the top of the strut and loosened the bolts but didn't take them all the way out. After that I hammered the steering knuckle loose. I removed the old strut and put the new strut on. I bolted the top of the strut snug and after that put the steering knuckle back on the strut put the bottom strut bolt on and the stabilizer rod back on and tightened everything with a torq wrench. I did that for both sides.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That sounds right.

That's good that you got the loaded strut: it eliminates the possibility of a bad mount or mount bearing.

Are you getting any noise if you turn the wheel side to side?

I would check everything for tightness, especially those upper bolts. Be careful though, I have snapped them off before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's happening to when I turn the wheel but I'm not so sure. It's very noticeable when I press the breaks and slow down. What are the top bolts supposed to be torqed too?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It should be about 100lb ft. The repair diagram shows 95-110. See if you can get someone to turn the wheel while you watch the top of the strut for movement.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I hope that I have been of some assistance and would appreciate a positive rating if it have. Thanks!