sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2004 mazda 3 hatchback. Have intermittent problem with

Customer Question

2004 mazda 3 hatchback. Have intermittent problem with backlights and driving lights turning off. Replaced headlight switch. Problem still happening. No problem with headlights. When driving and the lights go out if I hit the steering wheel they will come back on. HHHEEEELLLPPPP what do you think it can be????
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just for further clarification...
When driving, and my lights are on (Headlights, Driving Lights and Dash Lights), the Driving lights and Dash lights will go out randomly, especially over a bumpy road, but will some times come back on. I can hit the steering column or the steering wheel to get the lights to come back on, but its only temporary. My Headlights will stay on the whole time. I still have Brake lights, Turn signals, and Hazards, but NO Driving or Dash lights.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're hitting the steering wheel or column and having the lights come back on reliably then you almost surely have a connection issue in that area. If you wiggle test the connection at the headlamp switch while the lights are turned on will they come and go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just drove around and got it to recreate the problem. I tapped on the combination light switch and nothing happened.

If you wiggle test the connection at the headlamp switch while the lights are turned on will they come and go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they don't act up when they are on. It seems like I can't recreate it from the switch. I did however notice that if I tapped on the fuse box on the passenger side, I was able to get it to turn on instantly

Can you swap the tail lamp relay with another and see if anything changes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a few things I need to do right now but I will get back to it later on today. Thank you for your help

You're welcome!