Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

OK, I believe I am having a TCM issue also. 2004, Mazda 3,

Customer Question

OK, I believe I am having a
TCM issue also. 2004, Mazda 3, 2.4. It is going intermittent in 3rd gear only. Had the AT & CK Eng light on, 715 code...had the Turbine Speed Shaft sensor replaced...that's when it started to go into 3rd gear only sporadically. Can you find me a TCM used or New in the 95125 area? Is this a dealer only item? Can the TCM be fixed like an ABS module? Thanks!!
Victor
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have enclosed a link to a nation wide source that should be able to find you a used TCM if that's what you are needing. Copy the link below to your browser to open and view the link.

http://www.car-part.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron:
After calling around I have found out that 2004 Mazda 3 does NOT have a TCM, can you confirm this?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, there is no stand alone TCM, the TCM is incorporated into the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then, back to my problem in the first question:
2004, Mazda 3, 2.4. Automatic trans, 99k miles. Trans is going intermittent in 3rd gear only. Had the AT & CK Eng light on, 715 code...had the Turbine Speed Shaft sensor replaced...that's when it started to go into 3rd gear only sporadically. What is the problem? What is the Fix in you opinion?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Have you by chance checked the charging system voltage, there have been some known issues with an overcharging alternator interfering with the PCM and causing the transmission to have third gear issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that is not the case, what other factors can put the trans in "limp mode"? Is there a reflashing of software or other problems??
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Mazda has no service bulletins on any re-flash for this issue, have you ran the pinpoint test for this code by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. My mechanic is at a loss for this, and I want to get as much info as I can so I do not have to have any unnecessary work/charges done. Can you describe what this pin point test is and what equipment is involved please?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest he run the pinpoint test . I have enclosed it in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it and have him run through it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0715%20Sept%2011.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.