dr914jr
dr914jr, Technician
Experience:  I am a second generation Porsche technician and restoration specialist.
22612961

I have a 03 6s did a engine replacement, when I try to start

Customer Question

I have a 03 6s did a engine replacement, when I try to start it every thing lights up but no power to starter, I can jump at the starter it will start but not with key.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

If the momentary power wire is not receiving a signal when the key is in the start position you have a few options to check that are quick and easy. The most likely cause is a failed clutch safety switch(assuming it is a manual and since you're experiencing this issue, it probably is a manual). Another great bet would be to test the continuity of the momentary power lead using a millimeter. If it isn't one of those, you most likely have a failed ignition switch. Hopefully that isn't the case. Good Luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot to mention it's automatic, every thing was working when I started this job.
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

Cool! Same difference. Automatics have a natural safety switch that performs the same function as the clutch safety switch. It will prevent the starter from getting power while the car is I drive and can easily fail, killing the starter's power.

Considering the engine swap, I'd say the odds are also pretty good that the wire was damaged during removal or instillation. I would carefully check the wires, connectors, and pins on the engine and transmission. If everything checks out visually, test the continuity of the momentary power wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried park to neutral I don't think it's neutral safety switch I did manipulate that wiring harness, put a new protective covering on it. Can I contact you again?
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like we're getting warmer! Sure man, anytime. Gest of luck!