Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2014 MX-5 has a tapping noise ,but infrequently....the nge

Customer Question

2014 MX-5 has a tapping noise ,but infrequently....the hinge bolts were tightened and it helped for awhile. But no one knows the complete fix. Some say tighten the bolts, others say use blue loctite, others say use shims. and still others say use Lithium Grease or Krytok grease. What is the answer to this problem. It seems to be a common problem
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I assume you have confirmed it is the doors creating this noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.it is the hard top brackets. It appears to be a systemic problem with the PRHT. It has been going on from the first PRHT. If you have not heard of this, I do not believe that you will be able to help me. Mazda has, to my knowledge, recognized the problem. The car has been back to the dealer twice and they tighten the bolts. It stops for a brief time and then starts again.

Sorry I need to opt out and get you back on the list. I do not work on convertible tops.