Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a mazda rx 7 that has a new problem with what sounds

Customer Question

I have a mazda rx 7 that has a new problem with what sounds like the horn continually sounding while I drive. Do you know what this is
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

What year model?

This is going to be the horn relay, horn switch, or clock spring. Can you do electrical diag?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, thanks for the response. the Mazda Rx 7 is a 1988. I do not have an electrical diagram but saw how one could be accessed online which hopefully you can find now that you have the year of the car. It is a convertable and only has approx. 40,000 miles and it sits in a garage in Palm Springs most of the time is why the low miles. My daughter has been driving it lately and could better describe the sound and frequency because it has happened since she started driving it more frequently. Please call or text her when you are available to talk at(###) ###-#### ***** is nervous to take it to a mechanic that it will be too expensive. If you could give her an idea of what it should cost to repair and your opinion of the most likely issue I would appreciate it. She is in Costa Mesa, CA if you could recommend a mechanic. Thank you. Tracy Herrera, my daughters name is Alexa

The link below is the wire diagram.

The diag will cost no more than 100$. The repair can range from 30$ like a wire issue up to 400$ if its a faulty part at the steering column and wheel.

Normally its a wire shirt to ground on the switch side before the relay causing the relay to energize and close.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris I have one more bit of information for you after talking with my daughter who is driving the car. She said when the noise sounds off she also gets a low oil level message above the radio. I dont know if that changes anything regarding your diagnosis but thought it was important for you to know. I have not clicked on the link because I dont know if it is neccessary I have a manual in the car but if we find we need the diagram later will it be available to purchase later? My husband is a pretty good mechanic but hasnt worked on much electrical issues. Is the diagram required to know what to do. Thank you for your answers. I will rate you well after I give you a chance to respond to this last message.

I can find no connection possible to the low oil light. I compared both circuits and see no relation.