Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 2.0L 4 cylinder that has an

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2001 Mazda 626 2.0L 4 cylinder that has an intermittent crank, no start issue. Parts that I've replaced in the past couple weeks include crank angle sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, radiator fan, fuel filter, & engine control relay. On a couple occasions when it failed to start, I was able to swap out the engine control relay with a spare and it started. The issue occurs when trying to restart the engine shortly after turning it off. It appears that something is overheating and needs to cool down before restarting, typically between 30 to 45 mins. Once started, the car runs well and has not died while driving.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there are no trouble codes and check engine indicator does not light.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Duplicate the scenario, then check the fuel pressure. The symptoms are pointing to a possible fuel pump that is hot and can not spin up to speed till it cools off. If the pressure is low, then check the power and ground to the pump and see if its good. Can you check that for me?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I will try replacing the fuel pump this weekend. I was hoping it could be anything other than that. I bought the car three months ago for my wife wtih just 13,500 miles on it. The problem is difficult for me to reproduce as my driving routine is quite different from hers. She makes many short trips throughout the day, whereas I have a 20 mile one-way commute to work. I've driven it to work multiple times and yet it restarts every time. It usually happens to her in the afternoons during the hottest part of the day. She's now refusing to drive it until I can figure this out.

Do note, replacing the pump prior to diagnosing and confirming, is just guessing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, unfortunately it's not easy to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue when the car dies in random places. I've not been able to duplicate the issue at home yet.

Keep in touch if needed and thanks for letting me help and your rating.