Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2013 Grand... I have a 2013 Grand Touring Miata w/

Customer Question

Good Morning. I have a 2013 Grand... Good Morning. I have a 2013 Grand Touring Miata w/ 19k miles. Thursday evening I exited I 95 (Miami) - Stopped at a red light. Made a right turn - 3 blocks up - another right turn and was stuck for 3 or so minutes behind
a line of valet cars. At this point I way pissed off . I shifted into reverse and felt something was not right - the distance back to the corner was short - I dismissed it. But, when I shifted into 1st all warning lights turned on - CAR CHOKED - TURNED OFF.
I attempted to turn car on and again CAR CHOKED - TURNED OFF. Considering the state I was in - I took a deep breath - and this time (3rd try) I slowed the whole process - THE CAR TURNED ON BUT, IT LITTERALLY CRAWLED / INCHED MAYBE AT 1 MPH. THE RPM NEEDLE
WAS NOT MOVING. I made it around to the next block and parked it I called a cab. 5 minutes into waiting - I turned the ignition - the ENGINE STARTED - I PRESSED THE GAS PETAL & THE RPM NEEDLE IS MOVING. I SHIFTED INTO 1ST, 2ND AND SO TILL I MADE IT HOME. What
was different was I felt a slight slippage from 1st to 2nd gear. Car was towed to Mazda next morning. Three days later they tell that the clutch has to be replaced - THE COST - $1450. DIAGNOSIS WAS REACHED BY DRIVING THE CAR. AND THIS WHERE I HAVE A BIG PEOBLEM
- THE CLUTCH HAS NOT BEEN LOOKED AT – IT’S BEEN TEST DRIVEN! BUT, FOR AN ADDITIONAL $200.00 THEY WILL TAKE IT APART AND HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT IT AND HOPEFULLY I WILL GET A MORE ACCURATE / PRECISE DIAGNOSIS TO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM(S). The Bot***** *****ne is that I
am not convinced that is the only problem. REASON BEING IS THAT THE ENGINE OF THIS CAR DOES NOT SOUND RIGHT AT ALL. IT SURE AS HELL DOES NOT SOUND LIKE THE ENGINE OF A DUAL EXHAUST SPORTS CAR. IT IS THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM THAT I AM OBSSED 7 days a week /
24 hours a day. I’ VE OWNED 3 MX-5 MIATAS – I KNOW WHAT I KNOW. AND I REPEAT, SOMETHING IS INHERENTLY WRONG WITH THE SOUND COMING OUT OF THIS ENGINE!! In my last conversation with Mr. Massani I told eventually this engine will give up this ghost Several individuals
(usually in parking lots remark on the sound and give a diagnosis) but, the worst was when A VALET ATTENDANT TOLD ME THAT MY CAR HAD A REBUILT ENGINE. The following morning I POPPED IN BY SURPRISE INTO MAZDA N, of MIAMI. The Greeting Attendant (Andrew) and
the Assistant Service Manger (Nestor Massena) HEARD THE SOUND. BOTH AGREED THAT THE SOUND COMING OUT OF MY ENGINE WAS NOT RIGHT – IN FACT – QUITE HORRIBLE, 4 WEEKS LATER I DROPPED OFF THE CAR - 3 DAYS LATER MR. MASSANI TOLD THAT THEY COULD NOT HEAR THE SOUND.
ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY WITHIN DISTANCE OF MY CAR HEARS IT. IN FACT, THE DAY AFTER I PURCHASED THE CAR MY CLOSET FRIEND POINTED IT OUT. HONESTLY – I DID NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS ON THE 2ND DAY OF OWNING AND OWING ON THE CAR\. ANY THOUGHTS - ADVICE ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND THOUGHTS. R. A. NOVO III
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, with the noise and the clutch issue what has happened is the clutch pressure plate has come apart and being that it is directly connected to the back of the engine it will make a horrible noise. There are springs inside the pressure plate and one has broken and moving around when you hear it until it gets jammed then can't bounce around and you won't hear it until it becomes loose again.

Bot***** *****ne is the clutch assembly,which includes the pressure plate,disc and bearing needs replaced

LJ

Hi, any further questions my friend?

Please remember to use the rating so i get credit/

LJ

Thanks for asking.