Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2005 Mazda 6 which I experienced a drained battery.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mazda 6 which I experienced a drained battery. I used a battery charger to start it and while I was driving it felt like I was "stuck" in third gear. I got home and parked it, the next morning it was dead again. I charged it again and drove it to the mechanical shop with no issues. The shop had to use a "booster pack" to get the car started and they put in a new battery because it failed the test. Once they did that, they reported when they started the car, a bunch of electrical components went crazy. The wipers started, the battery light, transmission light and airbag light went on. The drivers window wont work. They say I have an overcharging alternator, which is draining the battery. They replaced the alternator. The overcharge condition was fixed and the battery is charging fine but the conditions that happened when they put in the new battery didn't change. Now they say I need a new PCM because the overcharging alternator damaged it. But, all electrical components where working fine when I brought it in. Could the shop have done something wrong to cause this issue?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If the alternator was actually over charging then it sure could have damaged the PCM. There really is nothing they could have caused by replacing the battery that would have caused this if there diagnosis is correct. Have the scanned the computer for fault codes and if so where any found?