FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

My 2013 Mazda 2 will not shift into park. Also, at speeds

Customer Question

My 2013 Mazda 2 will not shift into park. Also, at speeds above 65 the steering wheel vibrates.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if both of these issues started at the same time? Is the check engine light coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The steering wheel vibrating was first. I just bought the car used and didn't test drive it on the expressway. Supposedly a shop fixed it but they didn't. Because the steering wheel still vibrates over 65. They claim that one of the tires was out of balance and they rotated the tires. They were supposed to check the whole car for me, but I believe they didn't do a damn thing with the car. The car would not go into park when I got home. I put up the emergency brake on and I was then able to put in park. SobI did it again, and could only get the car to go from drive to neutral. Put em. Brake on again but it would took a bit to get in park again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called it an em. Brake but it is a parking brake
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back with me. This is typically an issue with the shift interlock cable in the shifter assembly or the shift lock solenoid. Do you have push button start or key start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a key start.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Try moving the key around to see if it affects shifter placement. If that does not help then I would also listen closely to the shifter when you apply the brake pedal. If you do not hear a clicking then it may have a solenoid failure. Either way the shifter console will need to be disassembled to find the issue. If this is a shop you typically use that checked it out I would take it back and find out what they overlooked or did you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is not. My car died and I wad in desperate need of a car hwd to get car from drive time and this auto shop is authorized thru them and I only have thirty days to have anything wrong fixed. Name of place is Gruelich's in Goodyear, AZ and I am ready to yelp them fb them bbb them 3 on your side them and verbally trash them if they don't properly take care of my car. Now, I have to take.time off from work to have thiss taken care of and I need my time iff from work for my medical issues. And I feel I.need to babysit tyem to make zure my car is properly taken care of.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that this has happened to you. It is possible that they just missed something or did not do a very good job. I would give them the opportunity to make it right, and since you have 30 days get it dine right away. I would make them put you in a rental car also so that it does not burden you too much. If you need any help or advice along the way I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. i appreciate your help. Is the vibration of the steering wjeel also due to thi shifting problem. And couls any of it be due to the transmission
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

It is possible, but I do not really see how the transmission itself can cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the shifter itself. It was loose and they worked on the steering wheel vibrating.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

That is what I suspected. This is something that I have ran across on this vehicle. I would assume that they balanced the tires to help with the vibration. If you need anything else let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! I will!
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Please rate when you can also. Have a great day.