Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

Just bought Mazda 3 I touring----while driving at night and

Customer Question

just bought Mazda 3 I touring----while driving at night and apply the brakes--you can see the headlights fluctuating very quickly until stopped....I also tried keeping my foot on the gas and using my left foot to brake and the lights will be ok
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing with the headlamps fluctuating while breaking could very well be a problem with the charging system. I would start with having the alternator and the charging system tested to make sure the charging voltage is holding steady while the fluctuating is occurring, If you find the charging system is also fluctuating then the problem is likely with the charging system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the charging system checked out ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fluctuating only occurs while driving
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are the headlamp the only light fluctuating , are the dash light steady?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I notice the blue function dash light doing it also
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In most cases this type of problem is caused by fluctuating voltage from the charging system and the time to check the charging system out put would be while the problem is occurring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we raised the car up last night and did get the voltage to drop for a second----is there any to find out if there is a short in the battery or something in the alternator
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The best way to test the battery is by doing a load test and at the same time the charging system can be checked which includes the alternator. You are going to want to test this while the problem is occurring.