Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

Got an 04 mazda 6.The guy i got it from said it needed ocv's

Customer Question

got an 04 mazda 6.The guy i got it from said it needed ocv's and sent me pics of codes he allegedly got from the car, p0300, p0022, p0012. when i pull the codes, all i get is p0300. i find it odd that both ocv's went at the same time.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The code P0300 indicates the PCM (computer) has seen a random engine misfire usually due to the engine misfiring. I'm not sure what you are referring to with saying you need OCV'S, can you explain what type of problem you are having and what you are calling OCV's and I will try and help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OCV is oil control valve which is part of the variable valve timing system. There is one on each bank. When I try to start it, it sounds way out of time and wont stay running. Is there a way to test the resistance on these before tearing half the motor apart, or testing the signal to them from the pcm?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The way to test both valve is to apply power and ground to them and you should feel them energize. You also need to make sure the timing has not jumper and you have proper oil pressure. If you are able to energize them then the common problem is with the timing chain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
energized them and i can hear them click, but not really sure how much movement there is. how can i check the oil pressure or timing if the car wont idle?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
You can check the oil pressure by removing the oil pressure sending unit and installing a Manuel gauge but if the engine will not start its going to be impossible to get an accurate reading. To check the timing you are going to need to remove the timing cover and check the timing chain alignment.