Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

Ew, I have a 1988 Mazda 323 hatchback. While driving down

Customer Question

Hi Drew,
I have a 1988 Mazda 323 hatchback. While driving down the road 2 days ago my engine suddenly shut down. I still had dash lights and radio was still playing, no power to the engine. Coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart my engine. Dash lights came o, but engine did not roll over. Got out and fiddled with the distributor wire and tried to restart. Engine rolled over, but will not start. Have pried open the timing belt cover and it looks as though the timing belt is okay (less than a year old). Looked at the inside of my distributor cap and the contact in side is flush with the housing. Am not sure if this is normal. Pretty sure the cap is as old as the vehicle. Any ideas?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order for the engine to start and run you need go spark, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure and compression. In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to check each one of these things . If you can do this an post back with which one you are lacking I can help you determine the cause.