Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda MX-5 Miata: i have a 92 miata mx5. have done some research

Customer Question

i have a 92 miata mx5. have done some research about the airbag lite flashing 4 times. The miata shop manual sez 4 blink code points to s-sensor being shorted or not grounding. i have removed the center knee panel and am able to see the airbag diagnostic unit and up under the dash what i believe to be the s sensor. both are blue colored. are these the ones? also, do i have to remove everything from the console fwd to get at the sensor? the manual has a blowup illustration of dashboard removal showing instrument panel, all console panels, shift lever, etc. and instructs to r&r per illustration. wow. any help in this matter will be appreciated. i am a retired aircraft mechanic and in the last century was an ase automotive mech. i will do what i need to, don't want to do what is not needed.
I am Skip.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I saw no one had replied to your question here and I want to ask do you still need help here with this?
Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i had not responded before. also I have not had a response from anyone on the problem with the Miata. I would appreciate any help you could give. skipenny
Have you had the fault codes checked with a scan tool or code reader at all that is compatible with your model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. the factory shop manual codes for airbag only are given by the number of blinks of the airbag instrument lite generated by the airbag diagnostic module detecting continuity between terminals of the S-Sensor ( central crash sensor). the adm gives different numbers of flashes for the faults detected. if an airbag component fails the lite will give 4,6,10, etc, flashes (constantly) and will remain steady on with a buzzer also going off if the entire system fails. pretty straight forward. this system is not included in the onboard computer diagnostics. ( per service manual) Have chased Miata owners threads of this problem and the dash needs to come out and it is recommended to replace both diagnostic module and the S-sensor, what is not made clear is if i have to gut the entire interior from the aft console fwd, including the center console shifter surround, heater/radio console, the instrument bezel, instrument panel, etc, just to remove the dash. I have located both components, and both are not easily accessed from beneath. the S-Sensor is hidden above the heater control/heater core box. the dash has to come off. none of my online research gives any indication of what needs to happen to remove the dash. thanks, I am Skip.
O.k.,my info is limited on this here.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope this can be resolved with ease.
Thanks Pete