sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mazda 3 hatchback, SP23: I have an issue that others have

Customer Question

I have an issue that others have complained about. On my 2005 Mazda 3 SP23, the panic alarm goes off at random times. Sometimes it goes for weeks without doing it, then it starts again (just last night and early morning it went off 5 times) I can shut it off by pushing the unlock button on the fob, but that's no answer for disturbing the neighbors in the middle of the night (which has happened at least 4 times in the past month--and I live in a very quiet neighborhood)!
It's not the same as an alarm (I don't even know if my car has an alarm, but I do know that when it's locked I can rock it abruptly and nothing goes off), but rather the beep, beep, beep of the panic mode.
My local Mazda dealer here in NW Florida hasn't a clue. The only thing they could suggest is that replacing the entire fuze box under the hood (at a cost of around $400!) MIGHT help.
I've read that it could be a problem with the battery, by which I think they mean the car's main battery, but I have had no other issues that might indicate a battery issue. Is there a separate battery for the panic horn (or the alarm, if I have one)? I can pull the horn fuze to disable it when the car is parked, but that also disables the ignition! Plus it's a pain in the a** to have to do this whenever the car is parked.
I won't object to disabling the panic system a long as I can operate the car, the horn still works, and the horn will beep in a parking lot if I push the door lock button to help in finding the car! The Mazda 3's key fob is very sensitive. I can enable the beep (or disable the panic horn) from at least 100 feet away (and at home, with 2-3 walls of the house between my bedroom and the car in the driveway, the unlock button shuts off the panic horn.
Tom
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you're pressing the unlock button on the key fob to shut it off then it's factory security you're hearing rather than the panic alarm. The panic alarm is something you manually activate from the key fob when in a panic situation. Factory security watches door ajar switches and the alarm goes off if a door, the hood or trunk are opened without it being disarmed.
It could be a module issue but it's more likely that it's actually seeing activity on an ajar switch circuit. This could be a wiring issue or it's possible that a door, the hood or trunk aren't closing properly due to an adjustment issue.
Most likely you have a failing ajar switch. They should be able to look at data with a scan tool to see what last set the alarm off. If the problem is that intermittent then switches can be unplugged one at a time to see if the problem goes away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check but I don't know for certain if the 2005 Mazda 3 sp23 even has an alarm system. And I didn't have one installed after market. Is there a way to disable an alarm system if it has one? If I pull the horn fuse, it kills the horn, but
also kills the ignition. Perhaps that's deliberate, to keep a thief from forcing open the hood, pulling the horn fuse, then jumping the ignition and driving away. It might indicate that the car actually has an
Alarm system. If so I'd rather just find a way to disconnect the alarm. A ten year old Mazda 3 is hardly a target for a car thief!
What you're hearing is the alarm. Locking the doors electronically or with the key fob arms it.
Factory security is controlled by software in multiple modules and once enabled when the vehicle is built it isn't something that can be removed.