FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

I have a 1999 Mazda Miata, and had someone forget to the cap

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mazda Miata, and had someone forget to the cap on my radiator. My car then over heated and I Payed $2,100, to replace the cracked head gasket, and had the valves resurfaced. My car was running great, but now 3 years later, engine trouble. My mechanic says I'm having coolant getting into my #3 valve which is causing the engine to misfire. I also now have smoke coming from the exhaust, which I know means the oil is getting into the fuel,-cracked head gasket right? Anyway, wondering if it's worth it to tearing the engine apart to try and fix whatever is still wrong, or should I consider getting a rebuilt engine? I'm on a seriously low financial situation and would like your take on this.
Thank you so much! Lisa
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lisa, my name is Bobby. I am sorry to hear about the car. If this has returned after 3 years without the engine overheating then the cylinder head was more than likely cut too thin and it is getting to hot and warped. The block of the engine should be fine but you are more than likely in need of another cylinder head. If you plan on keeping the car then I would get a used head and have it rebuilt and installed on the engine. If the engine is burning some oil then you should do a complete rebuild. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.