Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda 3 S: I have a 2006 Mazda 3 S Hatchback, with a little

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Mazda 3 S Hatchback, with a little over 100,000 miles. Recently, I started to have a problem with my transmission downshifting from 5th gear to 3rd, with CEL (check engine light) and ATL (automatic transmission light) warnings coming on. After the ATL came on, it would no longer change gears above 3rd. First it was once a month but now it happens daily, so much that I have decided to stop driving my car.
CEL and ATL codes said a faulty speed sensor and a transmission solenoid malfunction.
I took it to my local transmission shop, and everything inside the transmission is working fine, the solenoids were replaced as well as the speed sensor but the issue still persists. The transmission shop told me it must be an electrical issue, with either the TCM (trasnmission control module) or PJB (passenger junction box) and that I should replace both.
My car is currently at another shop, trying to find if the TCM or PJB need replacing, but they haven't figured out what's wrong.
Both components are pretty expensive and I don't wan't to risk investing on something that would not solve the issue.
Please help me solve this issue!
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.If you dont have the car in your hands and ready to test I cant tell you any more than either of these shops could. They have the car and the codes so they can test. If you can tell me the codes that are in it I can give you testing instructions to print out and take to the shop that has the car so they can figure it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wayne! Thanks for your help.I just got the car back and te code we got is P0715 TURBINE / IN PUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR A CIRCUIT. Still same issue as before hope this information helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wayne,Any updates on what to test for the avobe mentioned code?
Sorry. Somehow this one must have got past me. Just a moment.
Is this a 4 or 5 speed transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 5 speed transmission, with manual shifting mode.
Do you have the car back now? And do you have a scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we do.
Locate the Input/Turbine Speed Sensor on the transmission for testing. It should have an orange and a white wire going to it. Start by checking the resistance across the two terminals on the transmission side. Let me know what you get.