Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Mazda RX-8: we have a 2004 mazda rx-8 that keeps fouling plugs,

Customer Question

we have a 2004 mazda rx-8 that keeps fouling plugs, seems like oil is getting inside cylinders, we are not familiar with rotary engines...typically we would think it was the valve seals maybe but what would it be typically on this vehicle
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.My first guess would be bad apex seals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apex seals, are those something we can replace or are the machined on.
Thats a kind of loaded question.They are replaceable but basically when youre getting that far into the engine its time to do a rebuild. You have to take the whole engine apart to do it. The apex seals are on the tips of the rotor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey is there any type of tool we need, to do this apex seal
You will need several tools. You need to remove and disassemble the entire engine. If youve never done it before your best bet is to start by getting a service manual on the vehicle and reading through the engine teardown and rebuild. It will tell you all the special tools you will need to do the whole job. Thats a lot of instructions and beyond the scope of what we do here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i underdstand, we are an auto shop and work on a wide variety of vehicles, however this is the first rotary, my specific question is wether we would need anything outside the ordinary specific to this motor besides what you would typically need on most standard vehicles....outside jaguar , saab, bmw and such?
No. Its a pretty simple design. You will use your standard pullers and bearing seperators and such. If you have a decently equipped shop you will probably have something for everything you encounter on there. You wont need any special service tools just for the rotary engine. If you have all the tools to pull apart a saab or volvo and put it back together you will be set.