Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I have a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES 3.0l. Recently, the vehicle

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES 3.0l. Recently, the vehicle had a check engine light come on and the vehicle showed a lack of power (sometimes not even making it up hills). We ended up taking it to a Mazda dealer and they recommended starting with the spark
plugs and coils. I replaced the coils and plugs and the problem was still there. For a bit, there was a mistake (plug in #4 coil wire to #6 cylinder and vise versa) but after correcting the issue. The car started and idled amazing but when I drove it down
the block, the car wouldn't accelerate about 15-20 mph even at WOT. I recently did the fuel filter and I stuck now with what it could be. A P2197 code is stored in the system. My next move is to replace the MAF and O2 sensor. Any help would be great! I am
a service advisor for Honda and my tech told me it could be the MAF or the injectors.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
What i don't understand with this diagnostics was that spark plugs and wires where done ?? was the malfunction light issue not checked first to see what codes you had ,
When the check engine light comes on then first the diagnostic code check should be done before jumping the gun and replacing parts OR was this done .
The P02197 is the upstream bank 2 O2 sensor not switching .
Check first for vacuum air leaks after the MAF sensor .
Check the PCV valve .
Check EGR system.
Cam timing .
Engine compression .
MAF or injectors is possible but would also flag a P2195 code
If you have only this code do a fuel pressure test.
Get back to me and let me know what other codes you have if any .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vacuum leaks found, moving onto replacing the PCV and EGR. Does this vehicle have a limp mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the car went in initially, the car had a p0304 code along with p2197.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi.
Good, okay went in with a P0304 which is a misfire on 4th cylinder.
which you know , but do you still have the P0304 code .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no check engine light at all. That is the weird part of the whole diag. No codes are stored either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They came back with exhaust being plugged. How many cat converters are there for this car?