Tim Mohr, ase master
Experience:  30 yrs experience in Foriegn and Domestic, Gas and Diesel
17454363

Mazda Millenia L: Slammed on my brakes going 70mph, car lost

Customer Question

Slammed on my brakes going 70mph, car lost power after now won't start, fuel pump won't prime when ignition is switched to on
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I dont
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse is good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the inertia switch located? I checked in the trunk and could not find it, also tore the panels off on the passenger side front and do not see it, isn't it a black box with a red switch? I didn't even lock my tires up but as soon as I tried to speed back up my car was unresponsive
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
these do not have an inertia switch like the older ones did, what most likely happened was the baffle i the tank came loose, then when you hit the brakes hard, the baffle knocked the fuel pump connector loose in the tank, or it knocked the pump off the strainer, w have seen this alot on these, you will need to remove the fuel tank and inspect the pump and connector, you can also verify this by checking the wire at the pump and seeing if it gets power when cranking, if you do, then the tank will have to come out,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this still be the problem if I crack one of the ends of a fuel rail open, crank the car and gas shoots out?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
most likely not, but did you check the actual pressure at the fuel rail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not, is there a certain pressure it needs to be at to pass through the injectors? So you're thinking the pump is off the strainer and it's not sucking the gas into the car at a steady flow or it has a bad connection to the wire and/or fuel lines? I don't have the car with me but I'll check the wire at the pump, if it's good I'll drop the tank and see how it looks
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, first chck the fuel pressure at the rail, it needs to be at least 30 psi, if its lower then check the power wire at the tank, if it has a full 12 volts, then you will have to check the pump and make sure its on the strainer, if it is, then replace the fuel pump,Tim