sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mazda: I have a 05 mazda 3 - 2.3 using a lot of oil, no leaks,

Customer Question

I have a 05 mazda 3 - 2.3 using a lot of oil, no leaks, not smoking, over 120000 miles, any ideas, Don
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you're consuming oil it has to be leaking externally, going into the cooling system, or it is being burned.
If you're positive there are no external leaks and you're not pushing oil out of the cooling system then the oil is being burned in the engine. It could be simply a stuck PCV valve. If the valve hasn't been replaced it should be, preferably with a factory part.
If that doesn't help then the issue has to be valve guides/seals, or piston ring and/or cylinder wall damage/wear. A leakdown test and compression tests can be done to help determine cylinder and ring condition.