Stacy Farist
Stacy Farist,
Experience:  Lead Mechanic at NTB
2361730

Mazda Protege: . I'm having issues with the A/C in my 2002

Customer Question

Hi. I'm having issues with the A/C in my 2002 Mazda Protege. At first the A/C only worked at the 1 and 4 velocities. One day it just stopped working. When I turn the A/C the compressor in the engine starts working, the pipes and all start cooling. The A/C doesn't make it to the inside of the car. I googled something regarding this and most posts say it is a problem with the blower motor resistor. A mechanic I contacted also said that the blower motor was not working and that I needed to replace it. I don't really trust the guy on the last statement, so I was wondering if you guys could help.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Stacy Farist replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** thanks for using justanswer.com. I have 24 years experience in this field. Please rate my service when we are done.Since it was only working on 1 and 4 outs a good indication it is a resistor issue and a common problem. The resistor grounds the circuit depending which speed is selected. The blower motor gets a power supply from the blower relay(blu/blk) wire. What usually happens is the blower motor goes bad and draws too many amps on the circuit causing the resistor to go bad. They are usually replaced in pairs. Alot of unskilled mechanics will just replace the blower motor but nit the resistor. Power and grounds will need to be checked. I can walk you through if you like?