Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Mazda Mazda 3, 5 door: I have mazda 2004 5 door. First engine

Customer Question

I have mazda 2004 5 door. First engine light came on then a humming noise i thought it is a converter leaking. i took it to autozone and they gave me a code P2404, OEM brand mazda. the code states 66EVAP LEAK DETECTOR PUMO SENSE CIRCUIT MULFUNCTION
Probable cause
-661. leak detection pump filter plugged
-662. kinkedor plugged EVAP hose
-663. failed leak detection pump
Based on these information i would like to know that:
-if there is any recall due to manufacurer problem
- What is exactly going on
- Where is this unit located
- Can i fix this if i do a detail nstructions
thanks for your help
Al.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, there are 2 different 4 cyl engines available for your 2004 Mazda3, the 2.0 and 2.3L
I need to know which one is in yours. If you dont know, please post the 17 digit VIN number and I can pull it from that
this is needed to check for any recalls, service bulletins, as well as directions for replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine is 2.3L
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Ok, on the 2.3L engine, the leak detection pump(LDP) is located above the rear crossmember, connected to the charcoal cannister. To access it, you have to jack rear end up, remove tires, remove the lower shock bolts, unbolt and lower the crossmember some. 90% of the time this is a faulty LDP - you need to check the vacuum hoses to it and repair if found broken, crimped or clogged. If ok, replace the LDP Attached are directions Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is LDP? what do you mean if it OK, replce LDP? is it fixable by lay person
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
LDP is the Leak Detection Pump.
you need to check the vacuum hoses to it and repair if found broken, crimped or clogged. If ok, replace the LDP - This means that if there are no problems found with the vacuum hoses going to the LDP, then replace the LDP as it is faulty.
If you have decent mechanical skills and tools, it can be fixed at home by following the directions I attached.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fix like break and some other light problems and maintainance.I neaver did any of the shockabsorbal and removing the break bar. Any way is there any way you can tell me in words where this unit is located? i know that you sent me the pictures ,i some direction to lacate the unit. thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Ok, going between the rear wheels along the underside of the vehicle is the rear crossmember. About midway between the rear wheels, above the crossmember is the LDP. It is attached to the underside of the vehicle above the crossmember attached is a photo of the underside of the vehicle with the crossmember pointed out. the LDP is above it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you i will let you know the result within 5 days
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good