Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Mazda: My check engine light blinked few seconds then

Customer Question

My check engine light blinked for a few seconds then stopped. It has been on and steady for awhile, but tests just show vacuum leak, which we thought was just the fuel cap, but each time we clear the code, it comes back. Just before it did the blinking this time the car would not accelerate past,64/65 mph. It did return to steady and is not constantly blinking. What could be the cause? It has been kind of slow cranking up also...it drags about 2 or 3 seconds too long, but it does crank, even after the above situation.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The check engine light blinking is caused by a dead misfire.. for it to go away its usually gonna end up being a bad coil. Find out which cylinder its showing is misfiring and swap the coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows.. you may have to wait for it to do it again to verify whether or not the misfire followed.A vacuum leak would not be caused by a gas cap.. I dont know what kind of mazda you have or exactly which code it is setting so I cant comment much on that.A slow crank is usually caused by a weak battery or bad connections on the battery cables.