Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda famila: there my 1998 Mazda was running fine and

Customer Question

Hi there
my 1998 Mazda was running fine and then all of a sudden it stopped and wouldn't start .I left it parked up for a few days and then tested if it would start and it started fine .I then took it for a drive and parked up but when i went to restart it it wouldn't start .
engine cranks but want start .
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,while this one really needs a hands on diagnosis with test procedures, I can lend some insight. The single most common 'no start' issue on EFI cars on the fuel side is a bad fuel pump, which may see it simply failing to work when hot after running for a short while. Sometimes a simple slap to the fuel tank can trigger it into action during cranking.Less likely, It may also be a partially failed ECU, or even a corroded fuse contact on the fuel relay side, or indeed a bad fuel pump relay.It may also be an ignition module issue or relay on the ignition side. There's nothing common regarding late '90's Mazda's & this sort of issue, but a fuel pressure & ignition test should be definitive. I'd suspect the fuel pump.I hope that points you in the right direction..CheersScott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scottthanks for this , would it be a relatively easy job to replace the Fuel pump myself ?thanksRob
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Theoretically yes - if it's the body I'm thinking (not quite certain about that - grey import 'Familia'?) the pump is located in-tank, which is accessed under the back seat. The pump motor itself is housed in a plastic baffle that requires disassembly. Stick with a new one, not used. I would be trying to pinpoint the issue first, via a fuel pressure test. If you are a member of a road service org, they could be helpful re a quick diagnosis when it's a no-start.I hope that helps!Cheers..