Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

Mazda 3: mazda 3 2008 Clutch switch bypass by Dealership

Customer Question

Situation: Wife does errands around town comes home and parks 2008 Mazda 3 stick shift per normal routine. Couple hours later it won't start, battery is good, all indicators are good. We have it towed to local Mazda dealer a few blocks away. Next day they tell me that the clutch switch is good but the signal isn't making it to the PCM and to save me some money they can bypass the PCM and link up the clutch switch to the engine fuse box (I hope I got this explanation right). We didn't drive it much after getting it back until my wife had to go to work about 5hours later. On her way to work and coming home the car would stall out when stopping or slowing way down to make a turn. I'm quite worried about her safety. It's a great car and we have kept up it's maintenance but I need more opinions on what my options are about getting it fixed properly. I was quoted $1000 for a new PCM and I've researched that some PCMs can be repaired. Also I noticed that the dealership didn't factory reset the PCM by removing the negative wire to the battery before doing the bypass which I think they should have done to start with. I did the factory reset myself but the car is still doing the stall outs. Any help in getting the car safely back on the road would be a blessing. Guy R Layne

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Mazda has released a service bulletin for the type of problem you are having and it calls for cleaning the throttle body due to sludge build up. I would give this a try before you consider doing anything else, when doing the cleaning, be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable so the PCM (computer) can reset the closed throttle values after the cleaning. I have enclosed the service bulletin in the link below for your review. Copay and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TB%20cleaning%20Jun%2016.pdf