Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda MX-5 Miata: Installed new fuel pump...nothing....installed

Customer Question

Installed new fuel pump...nothing....installed fuel pump relay.....nothing The lead wires to the pump in the tank are blue and black. Black is neg am I correct. Just want to be sure I wired it correctly.
Initially I was at a stop at a gate and it just stopped running
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site.
Yes, Black is negative, Red/Blue carries power from the relay.
What made you change the fuel pump? Low or no fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car just stopped running while stopped. I thought fuel stopped flowing. So,pumps new, pump relay is new. Still not running. I haven't done the in line fuel filter yet. Any suggestions or thoughts.
I would recommend a more practical diagnostic approach that in the end might save you a ton of work and money.
To do that, you'll need to check what's missing; fuel, spark or compression. Begin by spraying choke cleaner/starting fluid down the open throttle. If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds, then you'll know the problem to be fuel related. In which case you'll need a Noid Lite and a fuel pressure tester to determine if the issue is related to fuel control (computer/wiring/injectors) or delivery (pump/relay/wiring).
Noid Lites sell for less than $20 at most major auto parts stores. Fuel pressure testers can be borrowed from same stores through their loan-a-tool programs.
I'll be more than happy to guide you through any diagnostic procedures once you get the necessary tools.