Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Mazda Tribute: my 2003 Mazda Tribute blue the 150 amp fuse

Customer Question

my 2003 Mazda Tribute blue the 150 amp fuse in the engine fuse box. it also took the headlights and several fuses. Replacing the starter seem to fix the fuse blowing problem.
I seem to have gotten all that straightened out however the abs and brake light is lit on the instrument panel.
By the way the car is at the shop so I can't measure anything right now. I did give it a good look over for indications of burnt wires or poor connections from the repair and didn't see anything.
any ideas?
Thanks,
Tony
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Without being able to check anything my guess would be that the ABS control module got fried from the dead short. When youre blowing a 150 amp fuse youre lucky if the brake and ABS lights on are your only issue. and that is the only thing in the ABS system that I can see being damaged by the short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah lights were going all over the place before the fuse was fixed. I was thinking that was because of the low voltage as result of the short.if it was a direct short to the starter, why were so many other systems affected... 12 volts shouldn't be able to arc across the fuse or voltage spikes?I can check stuff tomorrow and I have a meter. What do you suggest looking at before replacing the module?What you the new module cost anyway? that is something I should be able to replace myself right?sorry for any auto correct errors, using my phone
I would suggest getting the codes from the ABS module if it will communicate.. if not verify you have power and ground there then replace it.You can replace it but it will need flashed so be sure you can find someone to flash it before you go through the expense. You may be able to find a supplier online who will program it before shipping it.There is no fuse for the starter.. the power goes right from the battery to the starter. The only fuse in it is the one for the control side of the starter.